In case you’ve experienced water damage and taken care of repairs, but nevertheless have a musty odor in your home, probably it’s the result of mold. It thrives in moist, warm, and dark areas. To correctly deodorize your residence, the affected area will need to be dried and the mold properly eliminated.
Tips to remove mold related scents:
- Assess the damp places throughout your home that can support mold growth.
- Don’t use bleach, as it only kills live mold, but not mold spores, resulting in faster mold development.
- For areas larger than 10 square foot, contact a professional mold remediation business.
- So as to dry a place, the best things to use are dehumidifiers, air-moving machines, and fans. If the problem is large in scale, then it’s best to hire a restoration company that can provide industrial-strength machines also contains mold removal encounter.
If you or the restoration professional ascertain the musty odor Isn’t due to mold, here are some tips to remove the odor from other materials:
- After the carpet is dry, sprinkle baking soda on it, then allow the baking soda to sit overnight.
- Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and then spritz it on the upholstery. Wait till the vinegar air-dries. The powerful smell of vinegar, along with the musty scents, will be gone once it has dried.
When you are not certain what to do when faced with an odor problem, contact a restoration professional right away, before the problem worsens. For almost any odor removal scenario, call your regional PuroClean office.
Following a water-related catastrophe, or even when there’s a small leak in your own roof, the opportunities for mold to grow on your house are significantly significant. Mold is associated with all kinds of health and structural problems, so removing it instantly should be a priority. Read on to learn why you need to clean the mold in your home after you notice it:
- There are more than 100,000 species of mold, and all of them may be harmful. Even non-toxic molds can make you ill; in actuality, they are likely to affect you, since they are more common.
- Exposure to mold can lead to over 30 health issues, including asthma and other respiratory illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease. Mold can also produce a respiratory ailment worse through repeated exposure.
- Sensitive individuals can develop allergic reactions by trapping or touching mold spores. Symptoms include headaches, sneezing, skin rash, runny nose, and red eyes.
- In some cases, exposure to mold may cause chronic sinus ailments. Even if exposure to mold was not the principal cause of the disease, those who suffer from chronic sinusitis should avoid any contact with mold to prevent further complications.
- In a study by The American Journal of Public Health, the results have shown that mold in houses is connected to depression.
- Mold can grow on almost any organic surface: timber, sheetrock, fabric, drywall, carpets, etc. Therefore, almost all surfaces in your home are at the risk of mold growth if there is a moisture source present.
- An area of mold will grow larger and larger (in case the water problem isn’t fixed) until specialist mold restoration services are required. Act quickly when you see mold in your house to reduce or prevent widespread harm.
- Depending on the degree of the intrusion, the materials on which mold grows may be restored. But, in most cases, softer substances infected with mold, like carpeting and upholstery, will have to be replaced completely.
- Mold on surfaces can also distribute to the heating and ventilation system into your property. In cases like this, professional assistance is required. If the mold can’t be removed thoroughly, the ventilation system might have to be replaced.
- If you paint over a mold-infested surface, then the mold can eat the paint in only a few months. Mold has to be removed completely before applying a new coat of paint, rather a mold-resistant type.